“Work hard in silence. Let success make the noise.”
Learning is a continuous process. Students and professionals always in the process of learning for various reason. For students it may be qualifying in the examination or getting good grades where as professionals learn to keep them updated in the job market. But there is no one size fit for all study technique. Educational psychologist all over the world has researched extensively on this topic and suggests some. In this blog we will discuss some effective and time tested technique.
Before study you must set the ground. There are few tips can be followed.
2. Managing stress by relaxing: Stress release a hormone called corticotrophin which hinder memory. So relax and study.
3. Mind mapping: If you are a visual learner then mind mapping technique is best. Organise the information in a diagram form. Visualise the topic before you start studying. Write down the topic in the centre and connect the sub topic in a hierarchical manner.
4. Change your study place: Change your study place in a regular interval. Find out a cosy place which is well lit and low traffic area. Research has shown that changing places (indoor or outdoor) could improve the concentration and retention level.
5. Sometimes silence is not golden: You may not concentrate well in a library. May be a background classical music with no lyrics brings positivity and concentration. So find your suitable way. Studies suggest that low volume classical music elevates the focus and attention.
6. Sleep well and eat well: Sleeping is an important activity to save the information you have learned. The brain try to retrieve the information when it takes rest. A good night sleep is required for a healthy brain. Eating healthy is equally important. Eat fruits, nuts and green vegetables. Drink a lot of water.
Preparing for the examination is different from day to day study. A meticulous plan is required for it. There are certain tips to keep in the mind while doing preparation for the exam.
Day 1: Initial study session
Day 2: Review and reread
Day 3: Revisit and review
Week 1: Revisit and review
Week 2: Revisit and review
Review the older material first. Try to connect the old information with the new information. Write down the important point of the chapter after it is over.
4. Retrieval practice: While spaced practice help in storing the information retrieval practice help in getting out the information from your mind. Cramming lead to short term memory. But retrieval practice result in long term memory. Deliberately recalling information force us to get our knowledge out and examine our level of understanding. Recalling strengthen our memory. The methods of retrieval practice are test, quizzes, problem solving etc.
5. Flash the important point: Either you can use flash card or whiteboard to note down important points. Move your eye over the points time to time. Prepare a study goal achieve it.
6. Know your exam: Review and practice old question paper. You should know the question paper pattern, syllabus and time table of the exam. You must know the venue and time of the exam and reach the examination hall before time. Do not panic and believe in yourself.
Everyone try to get success in exam. But getting success depends upon your dedication, effort and smart work. Maintaining a well planned schedule throughout the year can be the key to success.